Monday, January 03, 2005

Gallery of ''Misused'' Quotation Marks

From the Curator:

You've "seen" them.

Maybe on a sign at the "grocery" store, maybe in an ad in your "local" newspaper. Perhaps even in a "memo" that circulated throughout your company.

They're quotation marks, and they turn up in the strangest of places.

I get a lot of e-mail from people suggesting that I add a section for misused apostrophes. Sorry, folks, but it's not going to happen. First of all, the reason I started this site almost four years ago was because I was at once amused and mystified by the peculiar usage of quotation marks. Misused apostrophes usually aren't that funny; they're just annoying. Even if I wanted to do such a site, I just don't have the time (especially since apostrophe misuse is much more widespread, I think, than misused quotation marks). A friend of mine has been thinking of doing a misused apostrophe site, so if he ever does I'll let you know. In the meantime, you may want to take a look at The Home For Abused Apostrophes -- not a lot there, but high quality choices.

Now, enough "ranting" -- on to the latest additions...


This was on a homemade sign at a flea market:
all swimsuits are clean and "sanitized"
At least they're clean!

more to see on the website url listed above.

No comments: