Thursday, October 13, 2005

Punching Up Your Prose

Great article on sentence structure.

For those who have a desire to work on grammar, this article is really a good way to learn the basics.

Grammar has been an elusive creature for me. Though, I have taken several grammar and punctuation courses over the years. I found that the best way to learn is to have your work edited.

At this point in my life, I'm beginning to understand the comma (no coma) dilemma. In the past, I've sprinkled commas thoughtout my writing as if I were adding salt to an already tasteful stew. What I've neglected to realize. Commas, and therefore, any form of punctuation should be regarded as traffic signs, to help the reader master the flow of a sentence. We all know that placing a misplaced comma can change the flow, as well as the meaning of a sentence.

I would love to have a better grasp of the mechanics of writing. I hope that it happens sooner rather than later. I hope I don't have to wait years to comprehend sentence structure. I can forsee this scenario: At the ripe old age of 95, I awaken in the middle of a chair nap, and remark to the nurse. "So that's what a a direct object is."

The nurse nods and says, "That's why I went into nursing."

No comments: