Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What is a Prologue

(I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THIS.)
SHAWN

What is a prologue? When should you use one? Should you forget about a prologue and simply start at Chapter 1?

All too often we pick up a published book and read the prologue, then wonder why it was there at all. It doesn't seem to do anything that Chapter One couldn't have done - or that couldn't have been worked in during the story itself. Or the prologue is a scene taken directly from the book - a few paragraphs inserted only to make us keep reading. I feel cheated if I get to a point halfway through the book - or near the end - and find that the prologue is nothing more than a word-for-word excerpt from the book. (Seems like 'entrapment' or something!)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I never understood prolouges. I just regard them as fancy chapter titles.